2021 Clone Your Favorite Beer Challenge (SOQ4)
Below are the winners of the Clone Challenge SOQ.
- 1st Julian Borrill with Faction Penske File
- 2nd Adam with Bell’s Two Hearted
- 3rd Robert Ayasse with North Coast Pranqster
- 4th Paul Keefer with Chimay Blue Label
- 5th Nick Facciola with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
All 5 winners have agreed to send their collective winnings of $130 to Uncommon Law, who fights to provide access to healing, legal representation, and viable pathways home from prison for people serving life sentences in California.
The basic idea is to clone a beer, compare against the original, adjust and brew again. This will culminate in a Q4 style of the quarter but the clone you submit should be at least your 2nd iteration of this beer.
- Select a beer you love to drink, and that you are able to purchase commercially in your area.
- Develop a recipe or find one online.
- Make the beer.
- Buy a 6 pack of the original and compare side-by-side! Take notes on any differences you can identify between appearance, aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel. Take side-by-side photos. Ask your friends to comment.
- Then, adjust your recipe or process accordingly.
- Brew the beer a 2nd time.
- Submit as an entry into Q4 Holiday Party SOQ (Sunday, December 12, 2021)
- Bring your keg (or several bottles / couple growlers) and some the original beer to share.
You can submit this beer as an entry to the Q4 holiday party SOQ. Of course, you’ll have to be able to purchase another commercial example for comparison. Even as People’s Choice these beers will be judged as clones: how well they compare against the commercial example. BJCP Style 34A.