SOQ 2022 2nd Quarter: Brewing with Girl Scout Cookies
Thanks to everyone who submitted an entry in this competition. We had a total of 12 entries for this one. We had beers with additions or inspiration ranging from Lemon-Ups to Tagalongs to Trefoils and more. For base beers, we had American Lagers, Witbiers, Porters, Cream Ales and more. It really was a fun and different SOQ, so a big thanks to Greg Strom for the (drunken) inspiration and the coordination of the concept!
Another thanks to Roger St. Denis for taking the BJCP judging off our hands, soliciting help from a couple of his fellow members of the San Jose HeadQuarters homebrew club, allowing for impartial judging and critical feedback from those who have no risk of conflict of interest.
And finally thanks to everyone present at the meeting that offered your help in the People’s Choice ranking for the finalist beers. Ordinarily, we’d let the BJCP judging scores dictate the winners but due to the wide array of styles, People’s Choice felt like a natural fit for this.
Congrats to the winners!
- Greg Strom 1st place with Nuts for Toffee: a Stout brewed with Toffee Tastic (and peanut butter extract)
- Danny Martinson 2nd place with More than cookies: a Standard American Lager with Lemon-Ups
- Spencer Sprinkle 3rd place with Liquid Samoa GSC Little T: an English Porter with Samoas
- Nick Facciola runner up with Thin Mint Mild: a Dark Mild with Thin Mints
- Matt Youngblut runner up with WT Tagalong Porter: an English Porter with Tagalongs
Do you already miss girl scout cookies? Well now’s the time to immortalize your cookie craving by brewing a beer to play off the flavor of your favorite girl scout cookie!
Thanks to Greg for inspiring the challenge and for his presentation that you can find here which has plenty of ideas to consider, such as the following:
- Pastry Stout made with Samoas (Carmel, Chocolate & Coconut)
- Hefe with Lemon-ups
- Peanut Butter Porter
- Bock Shortbread
- what else can you come up with?
Need to secure some cookies? Buy/reserve your cookies here.
Develop a recipe or find one online Submit three (3) bottles:
- One will be used for judging with scores and feedback
- One will be used for finals judging: a mini-BOS to occur live during the July meeting
- One will be shared with membership during July BAM meeting
Due date: June 25th (End of day/closing) by delivering to:
- Oak Barrel in Berkeley
- Ian’s share box in South Berkeley
- (or reach out to me if you’re having trouble with those dropoff points)
Label should be attached to bottles with rubber band. Must include:
- YOUR NAME
- Base beer
- Must declare which cookie type was used/attempted
- PLEASE INDICATE “BAM SOQ”
- Any Beer made with Girl Scout Cookies as an ingredient
- Any Beer which successfully resembles the flavor of any style of Girl Scout Cookie